Friday, December 17, 2010

Aerials open practice

I was back at aerials open practice tonight. Michael was kind enough to accompany me and play photographer:








He also took some video of a little sequence --- not quite ready for prime time, but far enough along to convince me that maybe I can pull off a silks act for this spring's student showcase --- but it's taking forever to upload. I'll add it later.

For now, I will simply note that being at circus is always a great experience. I don't think this is just because I'm exercising, which releases endorphins and all that. It's not just random strength-building exercises, done by rote. I'm actually learning something, and something that's so new and different from anything I'm doing in the rest of my life. The goal is to learn the tricks and learn how to put them together into sequences, and the strength- and endurance-building just comes along for the ride.

But more than all that, it's the people that make the place what it is. Everyone, the students and the staff and the teachers, has been incredibly kind and encouraging. We lift each other through rounds of pull-ups, we chatter and tease when things get difficult, we cheer when someone does a new trick for the first time. This is especially true at open practice, when we have only each other to rely on for help and guidance. I love that feeling, that combination of freedom and support, where we're all working hard on our own but also keeping an eye out for each other. It's such a wonderful atmosphere of camaraderie (sorority, to be more accurate), and these days, there's almost nothing I look forward to more.

UPDATE: Video is up!

No comments:

Post a Comment